Join the first ever Troop 149 New Scout Virtual Campout
We are transplanting the New Scout Campout to the virtual world! We will aim for the weekend of May 15th. Depending on the weather, all Scouts taking part will be encouraged to camp out either Friday night, or Saturday night, or both if you are hard core and/or need the camping nights.
- Do NOT meet at the church parking lot!
- Do NOT bring a bag dinner!
- Do NOT have $20 for your grubmaster--you are the grubmaster!
- Do NOT wear Class As (we're not traveling!)
- DO try to camp out, either in your yard* or on a deck. If neither of those work, put a sleeping bag in a room and sleep there! (If you need a tent, let me know and we'll arrange to get you a Troop tent.)
- DO try to pack for a campout, so you can show someone via video and get that Tenderfoot requirement signed off
- DO try to cook for yourself—breakfast lunch and dinner on Saturday. This gets you some Tenderfoot and Second Class requirements! (If you want to try to use a Troop stove, again, let me know and we'll see what we can do)
- DO sign up if you are in the Combat Wombat patrols or older, so you can help the new Scouts achieve Scout rank!
* IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CAMPING: Scouts should ONLY camp out in your back yard or deck if your tent is not visible from the road! BUDDY SYSTEM IS IN EFFECT. Your tenting buddy can be a parent or sibling. Also, parents will still sign and send in (to Mr Vargas) a permission form to allow Scouts to participate virtually.
But what about advancement?
We will be holding 5 Zoom sessions on the Saturday of the campout: 4 sessions for new Scout advancement to get them to Scout rank, and one general advancement session for all others looking to complete Tenderfoot, Second, or First Class rank requirements. We'll also have a campout-wide Zoom session Saturday evening with a campfire, chat, songs and/or jokes. Maybe a spooky historical story from John M.
I know it's not the same, but hopefully we'll get some advancement done and some fun at the same time. And s'mores.