The Alonzo Stagg Hike (ASH) is one of the most challenging events that our Troop offers. Although Troop 149 has over 150 Eagle Scouts, there have only been 9 Scouts that have completed all 50 miles of the hike.
This year, the organizers are offering a 10, 20, 25, or 50 mile hike. All of these hikes start at St Agnes Catholic Church. 10, 20, and 25 mile hikers end up at St. Agnes; the 50 milers head all the way to Great Falls, then double back past Fletcher's, cross Key Bridge, follow the hiking path past Reagan National Airport, then take 4 Mile Run through Shirlington, to the W&OD trail, to the Bluemont Park pavilion, at which point they do the four infamous "Bluemont Loops " to finish their 50 miles. 50 milers start at 5:30 AM, and must finish by 1:30 AM the next day.
All hikers should complete a practice hike of at least half the distance they are planning to hike on the ASH event. Because of the limits of our Park Service permit, we can only allow Scouts and registered Scouters to participate.
As always, this is a volunteer intensive event in running the key support stations, waypoints, road-crossings, and other logistic support. We need your help for this event. See previous email!
If you are interested in challenging yourself with the 20 mile hike, or taking on the ultimate challenge of the 50 mile hike, please sign up soon! NOTE: Sign up ASAP if you're going to try the 50 miler! There will be two MANDATORY training hikes on February 19th and March 5th. The first training hike will be around 12 miles, with the second being about 25.
HOW TO REGISTER AND PAY
The following is important info on how to pay and register with Troop 111 to take part in the Alonzo Stagg hike.
- The registration and payment is being handled by Troop 111 electronically, via a system called CheddarUp. The link is below:
- Go to that link to register with Troop 111 and to pay your fees for hiking. 10 milers pay $5, 20 milers pay $10, 25 milers pay $15, and 50 milers pay $20. You can pay electronically but there will be a surcharge. You can also send a check if that’s how you roll.
- There is also a permission slip that your parents need to digitally sign.
- NOTE: You are required to enter a date on which you plan to do a training hike that is at least half of the distance you plan on attempting! We’ve scheduled training hikes for the 50 milers; all others will have to schedule and plan their own training hikes
- If you haven’t already signed up on the Troop website, please do so, then also register with Troop 111. That way I’ll know who’s taking part, and they’ll have your name and payment.
- Deadline for registration and payment is midnight March 13 (the Sunday before the ASH), but DO NOT WAIT THAT LONG. They need to have a sense of how many people are taking part so they can plan for support areas to have sufficient food and drink. So please go to that link ASAP to register and pay.