Our first actual non-virtual real live campout of 2021 will take place on April 23-25, and is to welcome our newest Scouts into the Troop 149 family. This campout will be at a close-in location, Lake Fairfax Park in Reston, VA.
On Saturday, we will get the new Scouts all requirements needed for Scout rank, as well as other advancement if possible. There's also potential for a short hike through the park depending on how the advancement goes.
Troop campouts are generally two nights, where we arrive Friday evening, do activities on Saturday, and leave Sunday morning. However, if you'd rather make this a day trip or only spend 1 night due to covid or other commitments, you can indicate that on the sign up.
We'll do our best to provide a virtual experience for those who can't attend or who prefer not to attend. Make plans for camping in your yard if you need the camping nights!
Where & When
Lake Fairfax Park
1400 Lake Fairfax Dr
Reston, VA 20190
We will first meet at the Church parking lot at 5PM, take attendance, then leave to arrive at the campsite Friday night at 6 PM. Bring a sack dinner to eat (or eat in the car/before arrival).
If you plan on arriving Saturday morning, please arrive by 9 AM to make sure you're here for the activities.
If you plan on leaving Saturday night, pickup will be at 5 PM.
The rest of us will be picked up at 9 AM on Sunday.
We will still be following COVID safety protocols at this campout, similar to the ones in effect at last October's Guns & Arrows campout:
- no carpooling is STRONGLY preferred (note this means you will almost certainly drive-and-drop your Scout, which is OK since this is a 20 minute drive)... if you must carpool, make your own arrangements, drive with your windows down, and wear masks.
- bring your own tent (if you need a troop tent, one can be provided)
- one person per tent, or siblings can share a tent
- bring backpacking meals for Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner, and Sunday breakfast.
- ideally bring a backpacking stove for heating your own water (Troop will supply hot water)
- wear a mask or two when outside of your tent
- social distance
- Three camping areas: Scouts only, Scouts camping with family, and adults only
Cost will be $21.12 payable via PayPal. If you want to hold off to pay until you can confirm you'll be able to attend, that's understandable.
All incoming Scouts and parents must have taken all steps required to join Troop 149 before attending the campout. Here is a link to the forms and fees needed to join.
To sign up:
- Complete the signup form
- Complete the BSA activity consent form, and email it to email@example.com.
- Send Payment of $21.12
Any questions can be directed to Cliff Stevens, the parent coordinator of this campout, at